Classically Trained, for the Revolution

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Mixed Fish

The action has been rather lively for the leadership stocks this week, even if the overall market has been mixed.

I certainly could have been more aggressive. But I have learned not to get predictive about the market too soon after the Memorial day holiday. The summer has a listless, but tending towards trending action in summer and I'm happier these days to be more patient and sure I am forcing action into the proper direction before becoming too active.

Airline uglies have been in the news quite a lot this week and whether it is perhaps merely short-covering as much any real buying or not, they are rising in the face of all this negative media attention (the pullback in crude oil has obv. been a factor). I am back on guard there - I may step-aside again for now and cover AMR if it closes near today's high. If it stalls again late in the day, I will hold. Either way, my position is not particularly large there.

The rest of my list looks decent at present, however I will not be holding longs TNH, JASO and CSIQ if they show any further relative-weakness this week.

I remain partially hedged for now, keying still on the Financials in that regard. Financial names remain overall-sluggish, especially compared to aggressive-growth leadership stocks. I had plenty of opportunity to take handsome profits on the Financials short, but I feel this is the proper insurance until it is a little more clear the summer action is indeed positive. If I lose all my profit there, it should be coincident to making more than that on the other side.

That would be the plan at least.

Exposure Long (48%): TITN; TNH; CSIQ; TTES; JASO (listed according to size)
Exposure Short (30%): SKF (22.5% of accounts are double-short Financials from 110.05, by being long of SKF); AMR (7.5% of total accounts are short AMR from 7.33).
Cash (22%): % of total accounts.

No comments: