Classically Trained, for the Revolution

Monday, April 20, 2009

Bear Spring


Too soon to say yet if the bear is back, but not too soon to adjust. I increased my SDS-hedge in the pre-market and added SKF after the regular session failed to find any positive traction 60 minutes in.

Internals are severely negative and while volume on the NYSE is not extreme, the Nasdaq volume rate is running historically high so far.

I'm positioned more short than long for now, but I'm willing to let go longs as it becomes necessary (which presumably increases my exposure short). Anything breaking on rising volume will go. Anything remaining is hedged for now.

If internals remain extreme AND we are not beginning to recover, I will look to short aggressively in the final 75 minutes; for a daytrade. If we do manage to recover later, I'll reduce hedges accordingly. Either way, I'll convey via Twitter.

Total Position: 1.62-1 net long, 72% invested
(Note: accounts are leaning net-short now since leverage of SDS and SKF hedges outweigh long exposure)

Currently Long (according to size): PMCS, NFLX, CEO, MYGN, RJI, WNR, MNRO, BKE, BBY, FORM, CHKP, CYOU

Currently Short (according to size): SDS-long (SP500 Dbl-short, currently 22.1% position), SKF-long (US Financials Dbl-short, currently 5.3%)
(Note: inverse-ETFs SDS and SKF represent being dbl-short the respective indices)

No comments: