Classically Trained, for the Revolution

Monday, June 15, 2009

Quicknote on Hedge, Wheel-O's and Cramer Dividends


I'm going to be a little busy this week, as such I'll be posting less. I will however continue to Spit-twitt new trades live.

We have something of a pullback, so I'll take a minute and explain how I am hedging for it. First, Friday ended much better here than it began, capped-off in the after-mkt by two lovely set-ups courtesy of Dr. Cramer. I got short HBAN up in the nethersphere (as high as 13.5% above the closing price) and I also got to unload my largest long, TQNT, also in the exosphere (6.325, greater than 9% above the closing price).

So while ravaged, bloody and bitten early Friday (somewhat), I got back to the cave with dignity and well, grace. More Kisses for Cramer. That guy that keeps on giving.

I just let go the Chinese hedge (FXP) and from here I will look to hold my (4) Chinese growth names (CYOU reloaded again today). If tomorrow is down further and there is no sign yet of a bid in the market, I'd prefer to reduce exposure and the number of longs, instead of re-loading another FXP-hedge.

I'm still holding TWM and SRS. Given the severe negative breadth on the day (volume however, is relatively low). I increased TWM intraday, but I expect to back-off the additional shares near the close (sooner if the market catches and keeps a bid). So while I'm closer to flat at the moment, in terms of exposure, I'll go into the night leaning around 3-1 net-long, depending.

If the market still lives, then by tomorrow we'll see something resembling strength. If we are ugly still tomorrow, I'll reduce exposure by shrinking the number of long positions (holding winners first); let the remaining hedges go then according to the action, exposure-long, etc.

And certainly, I don't mean to suggest that the market cannot begin trending downward now (I just need to see it and respond before giving up the easier job of buying leadership in a good market instead). Who can blame me for that?

In fact, my go-to voodoo guy is spinning perpendicular right now and that has me a little nervous (not kidding). The illustrated chart above comes from TX Tornado's post The Wheel. Apparently, price, time and areas of Da Vinci influence are are all in harmony (my description). (SPX 950 was tested on 6/5 at a time/price which was 90 degrees from the 3/6 square and previous resistance).

I don't know what any of that means. Frankly though, I don't need to. When the universe lines up its ducks and starts playing Wheel-O with the markets, I keep my guard up.

Let's see what transpires.

Total Position: 3-to-1 net-long (plays 1.5-to-1 net-long considering levered TWM and SRS), 66% invested

Currently Long (according to size): ASIA (increased today, 6.3%), SWN (reloaded today, 4.7%, WFT (reloaded today, 4.6%), RAX (4.3%), ARST (4.3%), LFT (3.9%), MRVL (3.6%), PEET (3.5%), CYOU (reloaded today, 3.1%), SNDA (2.9%), AU (2.9%), JDSU (2.1%)

Currently Short (according to size):
TWM-long (13.7%; Russell2k Dbl-short), SRS-long (2.7%; US Real Est. Dbl-short)
(Note: inverse-ETFs TWM and SRS represent being dbl-short the respective indices)

Futures Accounts: no current position

No comments: